Guys! I cannot believe I just made this up and it was GOOD on the first try (and hubby approved which is always helpful!).
I don’t know about you, but I used to LOVE Chinese Takeout, especially on a Friday night. Then I got older. Then I realized I had no idea what additives or other “weird things” were in my food. Then I had the WORST MSG migraine experience of my life. Right after enjoying an admittedly yummy lunch out, I came back to work and was tackled with the worst migraine I have ever experienced. For me, it is not so much the headaches as it is the pre-migraine “aura” and after experience. During my aura, I see spots and lose my periphery vision. Afterwards, I feel worn-out and tired and no amount of sleep really helps. After this one attack, there was a period of about an hour where I legit could not read the words in front of me. I could see them, I could recognize them, I knew I was supposed to know what they spelled, but alas, nope, not until that migraine attack was over. Nothing like a scary experience like that to swear you off of a restaurant.
In any event . . . I still LOVE the flavors of Chinese food. I miss being able to eat it and enjoy it with my family. Until! I just learned to make it myself! The beauty? I KNOW for a fact there is no MSG in here, no headaches, and I can make it as clean as I want and it is still freaking delicious!
The best beef for this? I buy this from Wegmans. It cooks up so nicely and easily! Here it is in the package, then right before the sauce is added (and there is still some pink), and the final version!
I use a Wegman’s version of dried Orange Peel. I did not use the grinder and liked the relatively large pieces of peel this produced. However, if you cannot find it at your store, you can find a comparable version here! I use this version of Five Spice Powder.
I like to serve this orange beef over cauliflower rice and with a side of sautéed zucchini. That way you get in your protein and a double veggie punch!
Who needs Chinese takeout when you can make it yourself for a gajillion less calories, more taste, and with all natural ingredients!
- 1 lb shredded beef steak
- EVOO Spray
- 1/4 cup soy sauce OR coconut aminos
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Five Spice Powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons dried orange peel
- Heat nonstick skillet over high heat.
- While heating, whisk soy sauce (or coconut aminos), honey, five spice powder, ginger, and dried orange peel in a small bowl.
- Give your pan a quick spray with EVOO. Add in your beef and scoot around often so it cooks evenly.
- Once the beef is mostly done and just a little pink remains, stir in your soy mixture. Stir everything together so all the beef is coated. Let cook for another 2 minutes and the sauce takes on a glazed look.
- Serve with cauliflower rice or rice. This also pairs nicely with sautéed zucchini.
- Serving Size: 3/4 cup