Out of the taco seasoning from the jar? Ditch it and make this. The flavor is a million times better! I did mine in lettuce cups and the hubs and kids did theirs on nachos.
- 1 tsp EVOO
- 1 jalapeño diced (up to you how much to use)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (I like Hunt’s Fire Roasted)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (more to taste)
- 1 tsp chili powder (not the spicy kind)
- 1 TBS oregano
- Himalayan pink sea salt to taste
- Lettuce Wraps (Optional)
- Lettuce Leaves
- Avocado Slices
- Chopped Fresh Cilantro
- Jalapeno Slices
- Cholula Hot Sauce
- Taste your jalapeño and see how spicy it is. (Be careful). Decide how much you want to put in your taco meat. My jalapeño was hot so I diced it finely and did less than a quarter. I saved the extra semi-rings to put on my lettuce cups, but not torture my family with too much heat.
- Heat pan over medium heat. Add a swirl of EVOO and add in onion and jalapeño you decided to use. Sautee until onions start to become translucent and fragrant.
- Add in ground turkey. Break up meat. (I love to use my Pampered Chef ground meat chopper).
- I do a little sprinkle of chili powder and salt while it is cooking.
- Once meat is cooked, if you have extra fat/liquid, remove it. (With turkey, it should be low/non-existent). I remove it by blotting with a paper towel.
- Add in can of diced tomatoes, smoked paprika, oregano. Stir. Let simmer 5 minutes so the tomatoes get warm and the liquid evaporates.
- Taste. If you want it smokier, add in more smoked paprika. You may also want to salt to taste.
- I served mine in lettuce wraps, topped with avocado, cilantro, jalapeño, and Cholula Hot Sauce! Kiddos and hubs used theirs on nachos. Everyone was happy.
- Serving Size: 1 cup