Ok. This is it. This is the recipe that changed my life and the way I look at veggies.
When I was a month postpartum with Baby 1, my BFF visited me. We were able to break free and go to the grocery store — BIG deal folks. My mom friends, you know how amazing/terrifying it is to leave the house with no baby attached to you in those first few weeks . . . months . . . years!
But I digress.
She wanted to make me dinner and she dragged me into the produce section.
Confession. Prior to 2011, I would MAYBE buy one veggie a week during my weekly grocery trip. It was usually lettuce. Maybe asparagus if I was being “fancy.” Oh Wendy.
Anyhow. She picked up broccoli and I immediately wrinkled my nose and said, don’t you know me? No freakin way. Nasty nasty. Bleugh bleugh. She said, trust me. We are going to roast it. I looked at her like a crazy person. I had ZERO belief.
Until I had the first bite. Omg, Laur, this is like candy! It is insane! This is broccoli!?? She smiled and said “told ya.” (This is how most of our conversations go by the way).
Now, when I am not particularly hungry for dinner OR if I have over-indulged during the day, this is my go to dinner. Sounds crazy, I know, but don’t knock it until you try it. It is also one of my favorite sides and goes with pretty much anything.
Lately, I like to eat it with Trader Joe’s Yuzu Hot Sauce! Frank’s always works well too!
- 4–6 cups fresh broccoli florets – chopped into about 1–3 inches pieces
- Himalayan Salt
- Preheat oven to 450
- Sprinkle EVOO in Roasting Pan
- Spread out broccoli in pan, making sure you don’t overlap it (you don’t want to steam it!)
- Sprinkle a little more EVOO on top of broccoli
- Mix with Hands
- Put in oven! Stir at the 10 min mark. Expect a big WHOOSH of steam when you open the oven (your mascara may melt a bit)
- Stir every 5 mins until done. Usually about 20 mins.
- Sprinkle with some salt and enjoy!